Aging occurs over time, and unfortunately, we don’t have any control over it. Ultimately, your smile will begin to show your years. The good news is that with modern dental technology, there are all sorts of ways that you can expand the youth of your smile and keep it looking healthy. After all, it is important that you feel confident when you show off your pearly whites. Continue reading to learn about the cosmetic issues that can occur as a result of age and how you can combat them.
What Dental Problems Happen as You Age?
As you get older, you are much more likely to face certain dental issues, including the following:
- Fragile teeth: Teeth become more brittle as time goes on, and you are ultimately more likely to end up with chips and cracks.
- Worn teeth: Eating multiple times a day every day over the years will eventually wear down the enamel of the teeth.
- Crooked teeth: Your teeth can shift over time, especially if you have gum recession or other oral health issues.
- Discoloration: The enamel wears away over time and reveals more of the yellow dentin beneath.
- Staining: When you consume lots of pigmented beverages, like coffee and red wine, your teeth will begin to show it. Using tobacco products can also cause yellowing over time.
How Can Cosmetic Dentistry Help to Preserve a Youthful Smile?
Your smile has begun showing its age, but this doesn’t mean that you need to keep it that way. There are numerous cosmetic options out there to help you achieve your smile goals. Here are just a few of them:
- Veneers: These are thin shells of porcelain that are placed on the front surface of the teeth to mask imperfections. This includes anything from discoloration to gaps. If you’re looking for a complete smile makeover, this may be the perfect solution for you!
- Direct bonding: If you have minor imperfections in your smile, like small chips, cracks, or a slightly misaligned tooth, these can often be easily repaired with dental bonding. This can be completed in just one appointment and is very affordable!
- Teeth whitening: By getting a professional teeth whitening kit from your dentist, you can brighten your smile up to eight shades in the comfort of your own home! This way, you can get obvious results without risking your oral health via over-the-counter whitening treatments.
Your smile should look as great as you feel! Talk to your dental team about your options. This way, a plan can be created just for you.
About the Author
Dr. Marc Thomas is an experienced dentist who has been working in the field for well over two decades. He earned his dental doctorate from the University of the Pacific before serving in the US Army Dental Corps taking care of troops. Currently, he is a proud member of the American Dental Association, Northern Nevada Dental Society, Seattle Study Club, and the Academy of General Dentistry. For more information on cosmetic dentistry or to schedule a consultation at his office in Sparks, visit his website or call (775) 626-3535.